Now, preheat your oven to 200⁰C.
6. Whilst your oven comes to temperature, heat your sauté pan on the hob to a medium heat and add 1/4 cup olive oil.
When the olive oil is hot but not smoking, brown, add the following ingredients:
- 1 head garlic, peeled and separated into cloves
After the garlic is lightly brown and the garlic flavour has infused into the olive oil, add:
- 2 T fennel seeds
- 1 whole tin anchovies, each filet broken up with the edge of a wooden spoon
- 2 glasses white wine, or 1/2 cup cider vinegar and 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 whole jar capers, brine included
Stir and allow to simmer and slightly reduce.
7. Pour the contents of the sauté pan over the chicken and vegetables waiting in your double roaster lid.
8. Add 1 cup of Castelvetrano olives. Bake in your 200⁰C oven until the chicken is cooked through and tender and the juices run clear (about 30 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken pieces you’re using).
After removing from the oven, let cool slightly before garnishing.
9. Before serving, garnish with:
- 1 cup of Castelvetrano olives
- Red pepper flakes
- Aleppo flakes
- Fennel fronds
10. Serve directly to your table but remember to use a heat resistant mat as the double roaster lid will be hot!
One last recommendation: take it outside to give your family and friends a feast in the Spring air. There’s nothing better!